Wednesday 28 December 2011

Recipe Sixteen: Wholemeal Bread

On Christmas Day my sister turned up to lunch with these:


Now I'm generally one to watch my how much bread I eat,
HOWEVER...I ate a piece of these that was about half the size of my head and I did not regret it
one. little. bit.

I have been inspired:


Note: This was originally a basic white bread recipe, it should have stayed that way. The wholemeal flour seemed to take on a lot more moisture and my bread turned out a little stodgy. Just substitute the wholemeal for white bread flour.


Basic Wholemeal Bread:
3 teaspoons of dried yeast
125ml of warm water
2 teaspoons of caster sugar
2 1/2 cups of wholemeal flour
1 teaspoon of salt
30gms of butter, melted
125ml of warm milk.


In a small bowl whisk your yeast, water and sugar until the yeast dissolves. Stand in a warm place for 10 minutes or until the mixture has gone frothy.


In a large bowl mix together your flour and salt and then mix in your butter, milk and frothy yeast mixture.


Lightly flour your counter top and turn the dough out onto it.


Knead this for 5-10 minutes or until your mixture is elastic.



Grease a bowl and place dough inside, cover with plastic wrap, pierced in one place and put in a warm place for an hour. Your dough should double in size.

Preheat oven to 200C (180C Fan Forced) & grease a small loaf tin.

Turn the risen dough onto a floured counter & knead until smooth.

Mold into a shape that fits your loaf tin & place inside.

Leave to rise again for 20 Minutes.

Bake for 45minutes and turn onto a wire rack.


No comments:

Post a Comment