Sunday 4 March 2012

Recipe Thirty Three: Pear, Almond and Coconut Crumble.


It's no secret I am far from a fan of summer.
I could give you a list of reasons as long as my arm but instead I'll keep it short & give you the most relevant:

Winter food is better.

When Tuesday arrived with some ever so slightly wintery conditions I was pretty thrilled and immediately grabbed my umbrella and headed out. On my travels I picked up some typically 'wintery foods' namely: casserole beef and pears.


On the flip side my body also noticed the suddenly cooler, wetter temperatures and immediately gave me a slighty fever, aching bones and terrible asthma. Go figure.

Anyhow, I made a stew (more about that tomorrow) and finished it off with this amazing Pear, Almond and Coconut crumble. A perfect way to greet grey whether and an oncoming flu!



Pear, Almond and Coconut Crumble

4 ripe pears, cored and sliced.
1 tablespoon of caster sugar.

1/2 cup of rolled oats
1/4 cup of shredded coconut
1/4 cup of flaked almonds
1/4 cup of brown sugar
3 tablespoons of plain flour
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
1 tablespoon of demerara sugar
60gms of butter, slightly softened.


Pre-heat your oven to 180C
Place your pears in the bottom of an oven proof dish. Sprinkle with the caster sugar.
In a large bowl combine all other ingredients but butter.
Now rub in your butter. The best way I can describe this action is that you push the mixture between the pad of your thumb & along the pads of your other fingers.
Once your mixture is full of small clumps pile it onto of your pears and bake for 20 minutes.
Serve with custard or ice-cream.

xx



No comments:

Post a Comment