Thursday 2 February 2012

Recipe Twenty Seven: Lemon & Pistachio Biscotti


I know I have fallen woefully behind on my whole six month challenge.
I don't think I'm going to make it to 130 by the beginning of May but I will try to get as close as possible.

When I made myself a coffee at work on Monday I noticed how devoid the work kitchen was of a perfect biscuit to eat with said coffee and I decided I would rectify the situation.

It had to be Biscotti.
I'm sure you're aware I love lemon & pistachio together and so I put those flavours  in what I think turned out to be a wonderful crispy, not too sweet balance to my slightly bitter & milky cup of coffee.

Lemon & Pistachio Biscotti.

60gms of chopped butter
1 cup of caster sugar
1 teaspoon on vanilla
The finely grated rind of one lemon.
4 eggs
2 1/4 cups of plain flour.
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 a teaspoon of bicarbonate soda.
3/4 of a cup of shelled pistachios, roughly chopped.
Splash of water
1/4 cup of extra caster sugar.

 Preheat oven to 180C & line 2 baking trays
In a bowl beat together: butter, sugar, vanilla & rind until just combined.
Add three of your eggs, one at a time beating to combined between each addition.
Stir in flour, baking powder & bicarb soda.
Stir in the nuts.
Cover & put in the fridge for an hour.
Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
Halve dough & make each half into a 30cm long log.
Place each log on a separate tray. Combine the last egg with a splash of water, brush your logs with this mixture and sprinkle each very liberally with your 1/4 cup of caster sugar.
Bake for 20 minutes. Cool on trays.
Reduce your oven to 170C
Using a serrated knife cut your logs on the diagonal into 1cm thick slices.

Place these slices back on the oven trays and bake for another 15 minutes turning half way through this baking period.
Cool the slices on a cooling rack & you're good to go
xx




No comments:

Post a Comment